Australia has seen another synthetic cannabis death as a teenage boy was found dead in the Hunter Region of NSW over the weekend after allegedly smoking “Kronic”, says a report in News.com.au.
Synthetic cannabis death caused by deadly batch
Police suspect that 17-year-old Dean Shield, whose body was discovered in Rutherford, died after smoking a potentially toxic batch of synthetic cannabis carrying the brand name “Kronic”.
Two 22-year-old men in nearby Telarah were also hospitalised for smoking the same substance.
Read the full article here.
Campaign vs synthetic cannabis must step up
The Australian government has since banned synthetic cannabis. Somehow, however, they manage to slip into the country and threaten the lives of its users. Also, for some reason, people still use the drug even when there’s compelling evidence that it is, indeed, very deadly.
In countries where synthetic cannabis can still be bought legally, manufacturers of synthetic cannabis have always been one step ahead of authorities. Synthetic marijuana is made up of a variety of chemicals. When authorities ban any of those chemicals, all they do is replace it with another one.
Synthetic cannabis or marijuana is without a doubt one of the deadliest illicit substances out there. As implied earlier, Shield’s death is not the first synthetic cannabis death in Australia. It also wouldn’t be the last one. The government needs to step up its campaign against the drug.