Training, Education & Awareness Programs
SafeWork Laboratories offers accredited training courses for workplace drug testing. We designed our programs for individuals responsible for alcohol and drug testing and collection in the workplace. These are also applicable for anyone who wishes to learn about screening procedures such as oral fluid and urine testing.
Register now for our ASQA Nationally recognised training. Our courses are quality assured in partnership with Healthcorp, RTO # 91222.
Accredited Course: HLTPAT005 – Collect specimens for drugs of abuse testing
This course pertains to the collection of specimens for drugs of abuse testing. It includes the confirmation of testing and collection requirements, preparation and equipment, and collection of specimen.
All protocol and procedures follow Australia / New Zealand Standards for AS/NZS 4308:2008 (urine) and AS/NZS 4760:2019 (saliva). The program also includes breath testing procedures in accordance with AS 3547:2019.
Our accredited HLTPAT005 training course covers:
- Understanding of organisational guidelines for drug and alcohol testing
- Organisational guideline for alcohol and other drug screening to current Australian / New Zealand Standards
- Planning for alcohol and other drug screening in the workplace (urine and oral fluid testing)
- Duty of Care – WHS
- Undertaking alcohol and other drug screening (onsite and/or laboratory based collection)
- Reasons to test: Random, blanket, pre-employment, reasonable suspicion, post-incident
- Workplace Drug Screening Procedures and Safe Keeping of Specimens
- Chain of Custody requirements
- Documentation and records keeping of testing and testing outcomes
- Assessment process and guidelines
We will conduct progressive practical assessment over the duration of the course. There will also be theory assessment at the end of the course.
Participants who successfully complete the training will receive a Statement of Attainment from SW Labs.
For more details on our HLTPAT005 accredited training course, click HERE.
Alcohol and Drugs General Awareness (also available online)
We also have a program to help raise awareness on the impacts of alcohol and drugs in the workplace. The course covers the following elements:
- Reasons that Alcohol and Drug Testing is conducted in the workplace
- Alcohol and its effects on the body
- Drugs tested for in the workplace that are known to affect a person’s behaviour and fitness for work
- Oral fluid (AS/NZS 4760:2019) and Urine Standards (AS/NZS 4308:2008), detection timeframes
- Drugs that are tested and their effects on the body
- Short and long-term risks and harms
- Counselling and Support
This course is also available via online live training session for multiple participants. This makes for a perfect boutique experience that all staff can enjoy from the comfort of their home or office.
Reasonable Suspicion / For Cause (also available online)
For managers and supervisors, we offer training on reasonable suspicion / for cause. The goal is to empower business leaders on how to properly address possible alcohol or drug abuse in the workplace.
This course covers the following elements:
- Impacts due to Alcohol and Drug use
- Identifying Reasonable Suspicion
- Approaching the worker
- Role of a Manager or Supervisor
- Procedures to follow once the decision has been made
- Counselling and Support
This training course is also available via online live training session for multiple participants. This makes for a perfect boutique experience that all staff can enjoy from the comfort of their home or office.
This program aims to educate individuals on how to properly conduct breath alcohol testing, in accordance with Australian Standards. The course covers the following elements and performance criteria:
- Breath alcohol testing devices (AS 3547:2019)
- Breathalyser performance criteria / Recalibration
- How to use hand held device
- Breath alcohol testing procedure
- Confirmation/positive alcohol reading
- Points to remember
- Certificate of completion
Participants who successfully complete the Breath Alcohol training course will be issued with a Certificate of Completion.
In this course, we teach individuals about the different standards set by the Office of the National Rail Safety Regulator. Established under the Rail Safety National Law Act of 2012, the ONRSR maintains the safety of all Australian railways.
The program covers the following elements:
- Legislative requirements under the rail safety National law
- Who is ONRSR
- Requirements for authorised persons
- Knowledge and skills required under the rail safety regulation
- Knowledge and skills required under the rail transport operators drug and alcohol program (DAMP)
- Key Requirements
Participants who successfully complete the ONRSR training course will receive a Statement of Completion. They will also be awarded with an Authorised Tester card.
Other Training Courses
SW Labs also offers refresher courses for all of the programs mentioned above, except for ONRSR. This will help ensure current competencies are maintained for drug and alcohol testing.
What You Need to Know
- Participants must be 18 years or above
- HLTPAT005 is approximately 7.5 hours
- General Awareness is approximately 90 minutes
- Reasonable suspicion is approximately 2 hours
- Breath Alcohol is approximately 1.5 to 2 hours (depending on class size)
- ONRSR is approximately 3 to 4 hours
Medium of Instruction
- Face-to-face training sessions
- Online live streaming sessions
- Observed practical assessments / breath alcohol, oral fluid, urine testing & collection
- Theory assessment
- HLTPAT005 – Statement of Attainment
- Breath Alcohol – Certificate of Completion
- ONRSR – Statement of Completion & Authorised Tester card
We will also issue Certificates of Completion for participants of some of our refresher courses.
Upon completion of our training courses, participants will be able to apply for jobs in the workplace alcohol and drug testing industry.