Janna Maree Sladic, a former top basketballer for the Canberra Capitals, was found dead at a west Belconnen home in what is suspected to be a heroin overdose, according to a report by Michael Inman for The Canberra Times.
A life of drugs and crime
Her body was found by family members, who immediately called emergency services and paramedics. Police also arrived shortly after, and treated her death as non-suspicious. An autopsy has been performed and the results have yet to be released to the public.
It’s sad how such a promising athlete can end up becoming a drug addict and meeting such a tragic end. Only 29 years old at the time of her death, Sladic was doing well in her basketball career when a car crash in 2005 ended it. She began abusing painkillers after that, then proceeded to abuse heroin and even enter into a life of crime, including armed robbery, burglary, and theft.
Even more tragic is the fact that two weeks before her suspected drug overdose, she was allowed by a Canberra court to walk free after proving to a judge that she was making progress in her drug rehabilitation.
While Sladic is not the first athlete to become a drug addict, the way she turned to drugs still comes as a surprise, given her athletic background.
Read the full story here.
If you’re an employer, what happened to Sladic should tell you that you just never know who among your employees may turn to drugs at some point in their lives, even if they have a rather healthy background. To stay safe, you really have to test and apply pre-emptive measures. To find out more, why not contact us today?