Wellington police are saying that a bath salts overdose killed 27-year-old Kerry Grant, says Joel Maxwell and Tommy Livingston in a report for Stuff NZ.
First bath salts overdose death in NZ
Grant, who hailed from Kapiti, died in the intensive care unit of Wellington Hospital. According to the NZ Drug Foundation, his death would the first-known case of death by bath salts overdose in the country.
It is believed that Grant is the fourth person from the area that was hospitalised after misusing the drug, which should not be confused with true bath salts such as Epsom salts.
Read the full article.
What are bath salts?
For those who encounter the phrase “bath salts” used in the context of drug abuse for the first time, it can get really confusing. Why should the minerals I use for bathing be used for recreational drug purposes? As it turns out, “bath salts” is just a slang term for the drug, which often appear in the form of as white or pink crystals. It has a very similar chemical structure with cathinone, a stimulant with amphetamine-like properties. Cathinone is derived from the African plant khat.
Bath salts are known to trigger hyper-stimulation, paranoia and hallucinations. More often than not, misusing this drug leads to violent aggressiveness. There have been reports of bath salt “zombies” chewing off the face of other people. Now that is one scary drug that should be stopped before it gets any worse.