Meet the Team
SafeWork Laboratories is extremely proud of its highly trained and professional personnel who are dedicated to providing an outstanding collection and laboratory service to our clients throughout Australia.
Our key personnel are listed below:
Mal Beacham – BAppSci, GradDipSci, MBA – Managing Director
- Founder and Director of SafeWork Laboratories; brings more than 25 years’ experience in laboratories both in Australia and overseas.
- Accomplished track record in Vic, WA, NSW and Qld in commercial laboratory organisation, development and growth.
- Management positions in pathology since 2000. Senior management with Healthscope Pathology from 2006 to 2011.
Luke Loucas – Finance Director
- More than 30 years relating to finance, strategy, M&A, business performance and business turnaround.
- Extensive experience in varied industry sectors, including Agriculture, Manufacturing, Health Services and Transport.
- Financial leadership roles with Healthscope, Visy, Costa Group and Irisbis Australia.
Matthew Holt – General Manager – Operations
- More than 10 years of sales and management experience both in Australia and the UK.
- Previously worked with international provider Alere Toxicology.
- Extensive and successful track record in achieving substantial growth within key accounts and internal business units.
Natalie Dixon – BSc,GradDipSci, MBA, General Manager – Sales and Marketing
- More than 25 years in the health, medical and safety industries, beginning as a medical scientist employed by public laboratories across Australia.
- More than 10 years in the drug and alcohol industry – working in sales, management and business development with extension into education and training and onsite vaccination services.
- Extensive knowledge in onsite screening devices, building effective drug and alcohol programs for businesses and providing technical expertise where required.
Dr Phil Tynan – BScHons, BMed, FRCPA (Fellowship granted 1996) – National Chief Toxicologist
- Previous roles:
- Director of Biochemistry Hunter Area Pathology Service & HAPS Toxicology Department.
- Director of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology for Sydney Diagnostic Services.
- Director of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology for Healthscope Pathology.
- Retired Clinical Biochemist.
- Peer reviewed Principal Papers & Patents of industry relevance.
- SWL Expert Witness.
- Consultant Toxicologist.
Dr Zofia Perkowska-Guse – Chief Microbiologist
- A medical microbiologist interested in all facets of the microbiology practice and its connection to patients’ wellbeing.
- Completed her medical training at the University of Sydney and has held an FRCP medical microbiology fellowship since 2005.
- Has over 15 years of experience in various microbiology-related positions, both in the private and public sectors.
- Worked as a supervising pathologist at HealthScope private Pathology Laboratory, as a microbiologist locum in England and Scotland and, more recently, as a medical microbiologist and national pathologist at Australian Red Cross Blood Service.
- Has been involved in medical education, being the course coordinator for post graduate courses in Infection Control and Epidemiology at the University of Sydney.
- Joined SafeWork Laboratories in April this year and now supervises the COVID 19 PCR laboratory.
Angelina Crabtree – BSc. – Quality Manager
- 15+ years experience working in pathology laboratories within Australia and the UK
- External quality auditor for National Association of Testing Laboratories (NATA)
- Laboratory accreditation compliance to ISO 15189, AS/NZS 4308 and AS 4760
- Management and configuration of laboratory based IT systems (LIMS)
Tyren Edwards – BSc. – National Chief Scientist (Perth)
- Worked as the Senior Scientist in the Toxicology Department of Primary Health WA from 2000 to 2012.
- Extensive experience with MS analysers and has wide industry knowledge and contacts.
- Published, peer-reviewed and recognised studies in the field of Drug and Alcohol testing.
- Court testimony on multiple occasions.
Nathan Brown – BScHons – Chief Scientist (Melbourne)
- Nathan has over 12 years’ experience in the Pathology industry, the last 8 in AS 4308:2008 Accredited Toxicology Laboratories.
- With 6 years’ experience in Analytical Method Development using LC/LCMSMS.
- He also has experience giving expert testimony defending medico-legal analytical results.
Alp Bekensir – BAppSc, (Organic Chemistry) – Chief Scientist (Brisbane)
- 13 years’ experience in the chemical industry, including 9 years in AS/NZS 4308:2008 – AS 4760:2019 accredited toxicology laboratories.
- Primarily involved in method development for Drugs of Abuse in hair and successfully obtained NATA (SoHT) accreditation in Australia.
- Has extensive knowledge in analytical method development using LC/MS/MS for drug testing industry.
- Has written internationally recognised articles on synthesis of novel organic compounds for chemical industry around the world.
Michelle Chamoun, PhD – BBiomedSc(Hons) – Laboratory Manager – Brisbane Laboratory
- Previous experience in PCR development for respiratory pathogens in an ISO13485 accredited workplace
- Completed doctorate-level research in microbiology with peer-reviewed publications
- Her research-heavy background provides the skills required for the development of new PCR-based testing services.
Tim Edwy-Smith – Laboratory Manager – Cannington Laboratory
- Has been with SafeWork Laboratories since April 2020.
- 16+ years experience working in pathology and tissue culture laboratories in Australia and the UK.
- 9+ years experience working in molecular laboratories.
Kylie Kieseker – National Training Manager
- Has been with SafeWork Labroatories since 2014.
- With over 11 years’ experience, Kylie brings a wealth of invaluable industry knowledge & experience.
- Highly recognised and respected trainer specialising in a vast range of educational / awareness program sessions for some of Australia’s largest companies.